I started this list, with many suggestions from other teachers and tutors, for the Portland Literacy Council‘s tutor training workshops for remote tutoring.
- Bow Valley ESL Literacy Readers
- 40 readers for adult learners of English, with audio narrations also available.
- Note: for a Canadian context, so some context may be different from your learners in the US.
- Chicago-based nonprofit that has video tutorials and resources. Mostly tutor-focused, but there are some materials that tutors could review together with learners.
- Snapshot of the New Normal from a Beginning Level ESL Teacher
- Article about one adult literacy teacher’s experiences working with learners online.
- Has links to her class site as an example
- A Handbook for A Handbook for Tutors Working with Adult ESOL Literacy Learners (Felix-Lund, 2013)
- Written for tutors in traditional contexts, but lesson ideas and structure still apply today.
- Making It Real:Teaching Pre-literate Adult Refugee Students (Tacoma House, 2005)
- Also written for tutors in traditional contexts, but filled with ideas for activities.
Do you have more that you’d like to contribute, or share a way that you’ve engaged and supported learners online? Share a comment or contact me.