I started this list, with many suggestions from other teachers and tutors, for the Portland Literacy Council‘s tutor training workshops for remote tutoring.
- Pronunciation: Rachel’s English (youtube series)
- Clear, repetitive pronunciation focus on vowels (with IPA — which may be interesting, or too much information)
- This site, manythings.org, has an interface that is a lot easier to navigate than youtube.
- ESOL News Oregon – Narrated articles
- Learners must complete the blanks in lyrics from music videos in order to keep the videos playing.
- If they are interested in music, learners tend to love it. If they don’t find something that fits their style, it leaves people cold.
- But who doesn’t love Adele?
- For more advanced speakers: College Transition Listening and Speaking Resources (Lane Community College)
- Curated videos and listenings (from youtube, TED, This American Life, and more) collected into eight units with lesson plans, activity handouts, presentation slides, and more.
- For Tutors – Linda Bonder’s amazing site filled with listening resources
- Seriously, it’s a great list!
Do you have more that you’d like to contribute, or share a way that you’ve engaged and supported learners online? Share a comment or contact me.